Invisalign offers advantages like being nearly invisible and removable, making it a popular choice for those concerned about aesthetics and ease of oral hygiene. However, traditional braces are often more effective for complex orthodontic issues and can be more cost-effective. Ultimately, the decision between Invisalign and braces should be made in consultation with one of our orthodontists in Herndon, who can recommend the best treatment based on your specific dental condition and lifestyle. Both options are proven and effective methods for straightening teeth and improving dental health.
While there are pros and cons to both traditional braces and clear aligners, many patients opt for the less visible alternative to metal braces! This method uses a series of plastic retainer-like trays perfectly molded to your teeth to slowly adjust your smile.
We use Invisalign to address a variety of orthodontic concerns, including:
Gapped & spaced teeth
How Invisalign® Works
Invisalign uses a series of custom-made, clear aligners to gradually and gently shift your teeth into the desired position. These aligners are created using 3D computer imaging technology, ensuring a precise and comfortable fit for your individual dental structure. Each set of aligners is worn for about one to two weeks before moving on to the next in the series, progressively moving the teeth toward the desired position. Invisalign’s clear design makes it a discreet alternative to traditional braces, allowing for orthodontic treatment without visible wires or brackets. Moreover, the aligners are removable, providing convenience for eating, brushing, and flossing, while ensuring better oral hygiene during treatment.
What to Expect
Your Invisalign journey with Trü Orthodontics in Herndon, VA, begins with a detailed consultation to determine whether Invisalign is the right fit for you. Our orthodontists use advanced imaging technology to create a precise 3D model of your teeth, which is used to customize your series of clear aligners. Once your custom aligners are ready, you’ll receive them from Trü Orthodontics, along with instructions on how to wear and care for them. You’ll wear each set of aligners for about 1-2 weeks before switching to the next in the series, gradually shifting your teeth into the desired position. Regular check-ups with your Herndon orthodontist are scheduled to monitor your progress and make any necessary adjustments. The entire treatment typically takes 12 to 18 months, after which you’ll be fitted for a retainer to maintain your new, beautifully aligned smile!
Why Choose Trü for Invisalign in Herndon?
With our board-certified orthodontists and 4 conveniently located practices, it’s easy to obtain the friendly, effective orthodontic care you deserve!
Our patients receive advanced 3D scanning instead of old-fashioned mold-taking to ensure a flawless fit for your custom Invisalign® aligners.
Building Real Relationships
When you choose Trü Orthodontics, your family gets a lifetime partner along your smile journeys. We truly take the time to know you and your preferences.
Frequently Asked Questions
Whether you’re going with Invisalign or traditional braces, the length of your treatment depends on the current state of your teeth. In general, patients can get results from Invisalign in as little as 12 to 18 months. This timeline is comparable if not even shorter than braces.
One of the most important factors in the success of Invisalign is consistency! We always ask our patients to wear their aligners for 20 to 22 hours a day. That means even when you’re sleeping. The only time you should remove your aligners is to eat and to perform dental hygiene.
Invisalign is a suitable orthodontic treatment for almost all teen and adult patients. However, there are certain criteria that make you an ideal candidate for clear aligner therapy:
- Mild to Moderate Dental Issues: Invisalign is most effective for treating mild to moderate orthodontic problems, such as crooked teeth, mild overbites, underbites, crossbites, gap teeth, and crowded teeth.
- Adults and Older Teenagers: Invisalign is particularly suitable for adults and older teenagers whose teeth have fully developed. For younger patients, traditional braces might be more effective, as their jaws and teeth are still growing.
- Committed to Treatment: Invisalign requires a high level of patient commitment. The aligners must be worn for at least 20 to 22 hours a day and only removed for eating, drinking anything other than water, and oral hygiene. Patients must be responsible for wearing them as directed.
- Good Oral Hygiene: Since Invisalign aligners are removable, maintaining good oral hygiene is crucial. Candidates should be committed to regular brushing and flossing to prevent tooth decay and gum disease.
- Non-Smokers: Smoking can stain the aligners and reduce their effectiveness. Thus, non-smokers or those willing to quit smoking are ideal candidates.
- No Major Dental Issues: Invisalign might not be suitable for patients with severe orthodontic issues, significant malocclusions, or those requiring complex tooth movements or bite adjustments.
Our orthodontists will assess your case to determine if Invisalign is the most appropriate treatment option.
Yes! Our goal is to help orthodontic care more affordable for our Herndon community. We offer flexible and accessible payment options for both insured and uninsured patients, including:
- Discounts for those without insurance
- Monthly promotions
- Extended payment plans provided by Cherry (a third-party agency)
Invisalign treatment is generally considered less painful than traditional braces. The discomfort experienced with Invisalign is usually mild and often described as a feeling of pressure, particularly when a new set of aligners is first put in. This sensation typically subsides within a few days as the teeth begin to shift and adjust to the new aligners. It’s important to note that pain tolerance varies from person to person, so experiences can differ. Overall, Invisalign provides a more comfortable and less invasive alternative to metal braces.
Caring for and cleaning your aligners is simple!
- Rinse Aligners Regularly: Every time you remove your aligners, rinse them with lukewarm water to remove saliva and plaque. Avoid using hot water as it can warp the plastic.
- Clean Aligners Daily: Brush your aligners gently with a soft-bristled toothbrush and a clear, gentle dish soap. Toothpaste can be abrasive and may cause scratches on the aligners where bacteria can accumulate.
- Brush and Floss Before Wearing: Brush and floss your teeth before putting your aligners back in. This prevents trapping food particles and bacteria, reducing the risk of cavities and bad breath.
- Soak Aligners Regularly: Use Invisalign cleaning crystals or a denture cleaner to soak your aligners at least once a week. This helps to keep them fresh and remove any buildup.
- Avoid Eating or Drinking with Aligners: Except for drinking water, remove your aligners when eating or drinking. This prevents staining and damage from hot or colored beverages and foods.
- Store Aligners Properly: When not in use, store your aligners in the case provided by your orthodontist. This keeps them safe, clean, and away from pets or potential contaminants.
- Avoid Harmful Products: Do not clean your aligners with abrasive agents, colored soaps, or chemicals like bleach. These can damage or discolor the aligners.
Following these care instructions will help keep your aligners in good condition and your treatment on track.